Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Dr appointments

We did not do school today. Instead we went to two appointments for JD.

The first one was a nutritionist appointment. We finally found the correct clinic between the two bases (Ft Bragg and Pope Air Field) and we signed in just in time. The young captain there was trying to be helpful and provide answers to why JD has gained so much weight, but I left there feeling like I was doing all I could do about the situation. On Feb 28 he weighed 127.6 and today he weighed 135.  Of course they were two different scales so maybe there is a discrepancy because 8 pounds in 4 weeks seems excessive with all the walking we did.  JD's height stayed the same.  I could list all the ways I’ve “helped” JD but the list is too extensive. The doctor provided me with substitutions, healthy cooking tips, low-fat cooking methods, food label definitions, and suggested an 1800 calorie intake per day for JD.  She talked with JD about the food pyramid and healthy eating too, but he was engrossed in the Nintendo DS that was missing for weeks and recently found.  I know she tried helping us but felt like it was a wasted appointment.  She even apologized that she could not be of more help.   

The next appointment was with a pediatric endocrinologist. I was hoping he would see from the blood work that something was broken or clogged up. He too was unable to provide any answers to this baffling weight gain situation. The doctor looked at JD’s latest blood panel but found nothing profound. He did run another blood panel on JD. I should have the result by the end of next week. He also talked with JD about looking and feeling better about himself by watching what he eats and exercising more.  He suggested I track everything he eats and having him exercise more.  He asked for us to come back for a followup in three months. 

I guess as a mother I worry about this weight gain affecting JD’s self image. Like he needs another thing to worry about or be teased about. Both doctor’s asked him today if he was bothered by this weigh and he said, “No not really, well maybe a little bit about my stomach.” I was instructed to count calories, have him exercise more, and eat healthy. I’ll start tracking that on the computer tomorrow. I don’t plan to be like a drill sergeant. I want to be there to offer better choices, small portions, and exercise WITH him not just have him exercise his butt off.

After the mentally taxing day at the doctor’s office’s we ended our day at baseball practice from 7-8:30 pm. JD really seems to like his “friends” and the sport so far. We haven’t played baseball since a baseball coach several years ago “yelled” at him and his team mates. Truthfully, the coach was a great coach for the sport, but not our cup of tea. We were in it for the fun of it and this guy ran it like it was the college championship game on the line every game.

No comments:

Post a Comment