Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Monday, March 28, 2011

A so-so day

Today we got started with school at around lunchtime because I was researching all about calories, foods, and exercises. We had an impromptu health lesson once I found out how many calories JD burns just living, sleeping, and breathing. I cracked up when JD said he should sleep more because he burns 454 calories. I corrected him and said, “In 8 hours you burn 454 calories. But look at the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes…348 calories gone!” Did you know a person can burn 2 calories brushing their teeth, 22 calories showering for 5 minutes, and 194 calories by sitting around? (You’re welcome…)

Today’s devotion was about fairness.  A young girl was overcharging a couple to babysit and therefore lost her babysitting job with them.  God’s command to act justly toward each other can protect us from dishonor and disappointment, and provide us honor and fulfillment.  

We didn’t get much done during the AWANA book lesson. We were working on challenge 6:5 where JD was suppose to identify three people in his life who he looks up to as an example. His response, “I don‘t have any.” He was mad at me for fussing at him earlier. I asked him again and he said, “No, I don‘t have any examples to follow.” It felt like a slap in the face to me.

The language arts lesson was on the fly. I got attitude from JD when I fussed at him during the AWANA lesson. We were “on a rabbit trail” during that specific time. He was laughing when it was inappropriate. I was trying to explain to him about his calorie count and new healthy lifestyle. I didn’t want to yell at him so I sent him to his room and typed up a document for him to rewrite. At the bottom of the rewrite portion I left JD a lengthy note that said (paraphrased) “Both of us would do anything for you. You are very privileged to live in a Christian home. Sacrifices are made in this house for your benefit. Everyone closely surrounding you are wonderful examples to follow. We all want the best for you.” I called him out of his room once I cooled down. JD apologized to me after he wrote the seven sentences and read the note.

The math lesson today was a spin off of Thursday’s lesson. Today the lesson covered interior angle sums for polygons (objects other than triangles.) It gave us a formula to use of : 108* (n-2). What!? For a square: 180* x (4-2), 4-2 = 2 so 180* x 2 + 360*. Easy peezy. JD was having a tough time understanding why we minus two every time. I had no explanation. In the end, I know he fully understood the lesson because he scored a 90% on the quiz.

The last task of the day was reading for thirty minutes.  JD started reading The Collected Stories of Louis L'Amour The Frontier Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment