Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Un-cooperative day

Sorry about the delay in getting yesterday’s blog out. School was taxing, then we quickly ate dinner, went to church, and finally attended choir practice. So all I wanted when I got home was my bed.

Today before we got started in our school we visited a German friend down the street. She was a Vet technician but has since started a K-9 training facility out of her home. JD and I visited her and he 9 dogs and two cats. If the ones she’s fostering weren’t male dogs I would sure get the Miniature Doberman Pincher/Jack Russel off her hands. But he’s a boy dog and I don’t want any more males. Today was really no better than yesterday only the sun shined all day. It was a rollercoaster ride of emotions from JD. Because he was mad at the lessons, mad that they are too long, and too much writing, blah, blah. He was uncooperative for most of the day. I offered him the other option of going back to public school for middle school. (Wow attitude change…but only for a while.)

I knew the devotion would be about taxes today. It Talked about what our tax dollars pay for and then moved to the people of Jesus’ day. One day some people asked Jesus if it was right to pay taxes. Jesus simply said, “Give to Caesar what belongs to him.” But then he added, “Everything that belongs to God must be given to Him.” That means they should honor God and be good citizens. But he also meant God is a higher authority than all rulers or governments.

I’m simply tongue twisted today from reading Genesis 13 and 14. Again with the names. This time they were names of Kings and lands. We read about where Abram and Lot separated because there flock and people were too great for one land and there were conflicts amongst the people. Then Lot was captured and a war broke out. Abram was able to get Lot out of captivity with many possessions. But he gave them all back to the King.

The last math lesson of “probability” was accomplished today. Yeah! JD is bored with those lessons. Today most of the questions were focused on predicting the outcome. They were questions like there were 100 votes cast but only fifty were counted. JD had 20 out of 50 so what can be a possible out come of the vote. Well the answer would be 40/100. We don’t want to reduce this fraction because they are the total number of votes.

The civics lesson made mention of the lemonade stand again. It talked about more efficient ways to run a lemonade stand. It brought in the term “Division of excel in the things they specialize in. So JD and I came up with how to split our imaginary stand. JD assigned the jobs of buyer of supplies to me and said, “because I can drive yet.” I also go the job of cleaning up the lemon slicing board, knife, and lemonade pitchers. He was assigned making the lemonade and serving the customers. Get this he has fully envisioned this stand. (I wonder if that’s what’s keeping him up late at night?) His suggestions … take out the three big bushes in from of our kitchen window. Throw away the bird feeder because we haven’t fed the birds this year. Build a small platform over our very small water pond. And finally, take orders out of our kitchen window. (Um, let me think about that for a minute…NO!) There’s no telling what we’ll be doing for spare change this summer.

The email/snail mail lesson got off to a real bad start. I quickly offered to cancel every class tomorrow except for spelling in order to get more practice writing or typing. I opened a blank word document to have him email a short letter to Jeff. That way I know it won’t get sent off without my looking at it first. I guess a short story to JD meant 10 words. I said, “The story of visiting Ms Manuela’s house is very short and leaves room for MANY questions. I got, “But, well, it says enough.” I said, “Ok fine. Move out of the driver’s seat and I’ll respond to this email.” I typed a few questions and reached out and tagged JD and said, “Tag you’re it!” This sparked a very curious boy awake. He quickly typed answers and found me in the backyard. I ran from him when he came to tag me. This went on another three or four times until I had the story I was looking for. The dogs must have thought we were off of our rockers. They (even Roxie) chased after us as we ran through the house and yard. It turned out to be a very fun lesson for both of us. I just need to really work at getting him to write in complete sentences.

I had JD do two language arts lessons today. They were both about making inferences. That means to read a part of the story or answer unanswered questions or unclear details and put them together to try to figure out what they’re talking about. There were four total passages and I helped him read them this time. But for the life of me I can’t remember what they were about. He did well on the quiz and scored an 80%.

The science lesson was about “control groups.” Those are the items not subjected to the experiment. Then there was a 7 question quiz about the experiment process. JD know this process well but was too bothered by the length of the lesson to give accurate answers. I was so tired by the end of this lesson and day that I offered another threat. I said, “If you don’t control your high and mighty attitude I will invent an experiment for you to conduct. I will also have you write about all six steps of the experiment.”

Whew, the day is over and it’s now 11:30 pm. That’s a little late for me to be blogging but I want all of you to know what were doing. Thank you again for all your support.

Question bag answer…There was only one sentence about the human hair and macaroni usage when Edison was experimenting for a good filament. I did further research tonight and found this combined information. Thomas Edison spent 18 months and $40,000 to conduct 1,200 experiments for the right filament. He experimented with thousands of materials for filament, including fishing line, onion skin, leather, macaroni, and a friend's beard! The first practical bulb used carbonized (heat-treated) thread as filament in an evacuated glass bulb and burned for about 48 hours. In 1911, the tungsten filament was introduced and can burn for over 1000 hours. Heat-treated bamboo (in real time!) lasted for about 600 hours, carbonized cardboard 16 hours, and platinum about 10 minutes. Thanks for the question.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping there will be no need for threats today. Thanks for the interesting question bag answer.

    ReplyDelete