Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Busy lesson day

It was a good but busy lesson day.  Looks like ANOTHER viral bug hit the babies, Sarah, and JD.  This time it's another head cold with associated symptoms.  UGH!

The devotion was about two boys talking at their lockers about what each one would be doing for the weekend. One boy didn’t have any plans and the other one was looking forward to Sunday. The boy looked forward to the Sabbath because they are a special day of the week set apart by God for man. His family did stuff together, played games, and ate a special meal. The other boy just noticed more newspapers gathered in his house. I can relate…

In the AWANA book today JD completed challenge 3:2 where he learned God offers the ultimate gift. Then, he completed challenge 3:4 about honoring God by not making idols, misusing the name of the Lord God, and remembering the Sabbath day. (See what I mean about things lining up and duplicating? Sabbath day…)

JD was such a superstar during the math lesson. We got out of the three day metric system lessons yesterday. Today we started and completed all three of the customary measurement system lessons. It was a repeat of last year where he learned about ounces, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons. Then, he learned about lengths. The last thing he learned was weights. We trotted through the customary conversions lesson and quiz with a score of 100%. Then I said, “Go straight to the proportions and reasonableness quiz. If we bomb it we’ll go through the lesson if not score!” He was able to breeze through the quiz with a 90%. I had him go straight to the estimating quiz too. He scored a 100% on that quiz. So we tripled our math time today yeah!

JD used T4L for language arts today. He did two lessons on the prefixes (inter, dis, and over) and two lessons on the suffixes (tion, al, y.) I’m really not a slave driver…he begged for the fun lessons and just kept moving onto the next lesson. They were all set up like an old games show. He loves those lessons because there’s a lot of humor in them.

We did T4L today for social studies. I’ve been all over the place with social studies this year but JD is interested in so many things. Today we learned what life was like for in the 1800’s for the homesteaders. We learned about the dugout and soddie houses, farming, school, housekeeping, and basic living routines. I so want to be back in the 1800’s again. Sure life was tough, but there would be a lot less distractions for me to walk with God.

We did not to science today because I was going to take a technology trip to Dell to look at the Dell “Duo.” Jeff found it the other day and showed it to me. I loved it! It’s a hybrid laptop/tablet, has a touch screen, and applications like the phone Sarah has. The video showed a picture of a globe that you can spin around like a real globe. Those type of applications would greatly benefit our visual spatial learner (and possibly our spring trip.) I also wanted to ask them questions about Wi-Fi and routers. Sarah’s dad hooked up a router here in Nov 2008 so Sarah could go Wi-Fi. This whole time since they moved to IL and TN I thought it was with Daniel and Sarah, but it’s been under my nose the whole time. I found it today. Sarah and I tried for over an hour to hook it up and crack the user id and password combination. We were unable to crack the password. So going Wi-Fi won’t happen for a couple more days. Sarah’s dad sent another router with instructions. So this spring JD and I will be able to take our laptop outside in the warm sunshine to do our lessons on a cozy blanket.

With the whole trying to connect the internet to Wi-Fi thing I got distracted and did not have JD read for thirty minutes. I did remind him twice before dinner but he did not read today. He did ask me today if he could watch the movie Hoot today. I told him not until he finishes the book. He questioned why. I told him, “I want you to see the difference in details from the book to the movie. Books are always better.” (Or so I’ve heard from others.)

1 comment: