Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A good day

We had a good day today. It was stretched out a bit because of long breaks but it was good nonetheless. It's now 10:00pm and Suri is up "working" with me while I blog.

The devotion today was about the pencil sharpener. It was invented in 1897 as works great for keeping your pencil sharp. But if you need a life-skills sharpener you need the bible. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the Word of God is full of power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are.”

I combined reading with language arts today to assist JD with his AWANA book. Today he wrote four facts about the rapture. Then, he answered three questions about the tribulation. He read Revelation 20:1-6 about the tribulation. The last thing we did was write what God says about our homes and families, why we should go to church, how we can help others, and what we need to know about Satan, angels, and the future. I had him highlight on a pre-typed paper two backup verses for each of those topics. He will have to recite these verses to his AWANA teacher or me this week. He’s so good at memorizing verses. (I wished my memory worked as well as his.)

After yesterdays math fiasco I didn’t even want to re-attempt the lesson again, for fear of shell shock. I started to but quickly snapped out of it until I talk with one of my teacher friends. Jeff did describe to me how to convert the fractions into a decimal and work the problem that way, but I didn’t see it like he did, so it was only a fleeting moment where we bonded while he tried to describe the process to me. (I guess my wall of “do I look like I care anymore” went up and I shut down my thinking.)

I had to run to the store today in order to accomplish two science experiments. One was writing a secret message on white paper using a q-tip and some lemon juice as “ink.” JD and I could not read what he wrote when we held it up to light as instructed. We tried again on different paper but it still didn’t work. Then we took steel wool and baptized it in vinegar. It was suppose to rust. It did slightly. We did two other samples as well. We washed the blue soap off of the pad and baptized it in water. It did not rust as fast. Then we took another steel wool with soap on it and baptized it in lemon juice. This also rusted.

We began our preliminary research today on Argentina. Of the nine regions or popular destinations recommended on a travel guide we visited, JD and I decided we want to go to Patagonia. The travel guide enticed us with this message, “Patagonia, the land of wonders, is a very big region taking up most of Southern Argentina. The region features a glacier-dotted mountainous interior, unique coastal wildlife and amazing Andean national parks. The mountains and lakes in Patagonia are also some of the most beautiful of all found in the world.” We also found out their seasons are completely opposite ours because they are in the southern hemisphere. And there’s a one time entrance fee of $131.00, because this is equivalent to what Argentines pay to get their visa to travel to our country. We had a lot of fun looking all around Argentina today.

1 comment:

  1. I know THAT wall..sorry you are having trouble with the Math. School is going good Cheryl. I am
    just so proud of you..Jonathan too of course.
    Oh, love the picture!

    ReplyDelete