Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A trying day

As I’m sitting here typing this blog Suri is in my lap. It was a great day until I asked JD to write for a language arts lesson.

The devotion today was about sandwiches. It wasn‘t until 1792 that John Montague, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, requested a piece of meat tucked between two pieces of bread so he could continue playing cards. And the name just stuck. Without bread a PB&J is just a glop of peanut butter and a glob of jelly. Clearly the bread gives the sandwich it’s substance. Jesus was referred to as the “bread of life.” I couldn’t imagine my life without the substance of Jesus to satisfy my hunger. He keeps me going spiritually. Have you had your daily bread?
We moved straight into math after the devotion. We were learning about Greatest Common Factors. The lesson was fairly easy but we got tripped up on the last part of the formula. JD scored an 80% on the quiz. That’s really good considering I didn’t help him at all on it. Suri joined us about half way through he lesson. JD said, “This is like baby Einstein stuff for her.” She sat on my lap while I was writing out the numbers JD spoke to me. She was very interested in what was going on. So I pulled another pad out for her. I wrote and spoke the numbers 1, 2, 3 on the paper. I repeated and helped her trace the numbers. Before you know it she mimicked me by saying, “Un, two, tee.”

For social studies today JD and I reviewed the three branches of government. He retained a lot of information from last year like: what the branches are and the terms of the position (years, age, citizenship.) Suri joined us there too. I had the four sheets of paper taped to one another like a big rectangle. I attached them to the fireplace and had JD sit down in front so he could see it while I read it. Suri plopped right down like it was a reading circle. JD and I went from the fireplace to the computer so I could show him the news reporting that the Republicans had control of the house for the first time in a century. This led us to see that President Obama would be speaking at 1 pm. So we set our clock to listen to him. There was a lot going on but I told JD he’ll probably say, “We need to learn to work as a team…blah…blah…” We tried to watch it but there was a lot going on and it was hard for JD to follow how tactfully the reporters were sneaking in their questions.

We did the language arts lesson last today. That was a painful struggle. I requested he write a 10 sentence paragraph on five things he would like changed about our government and then five reasons why. After 30 minutes he only had one sentence written. I told him how upset I was. I also told him this is something he has to learn to do. I finally changed the subject to write about to “Invent your own holiday.“ He came up with “Everything is free day.” This went a lot smoother when I told him his school day is over when this assignment was completed. It took 30 minutes and a lot of encouragement to complete.

We did not do a science lesson today because were still trying to settle into our new home school routine (ha ha, routine.) JD‘s book was still trapped in Jeff’s truck so he did not read today, because I simply forgot to have him read something.

Looks like Ruca, the puppy, is past the worst of it. She’s eating very good now.

Everyone here is doing well. I’ll try to keep up with the blog, but it’s going to be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment