Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Another short school day

It was a LONG weekend. We kept thinking every day off was Saturday. We loved the extra days off and found it hard to wake up. As a matter of fact I woke up late this morning because I accidentally set my alarm for PM not AM. So I finally woke up at 10:00am and we didn’t get started until 10:30am.

We read our devotion on C.S. Lewis, the author of the Narnia tales. It took him until his thirties to become a Christian and a strong defender of the faith. The good news for Lewis and for other with doubts about God is that God is patient with us and is eager for all of us to come to the same conclusion of faith that Lewis did.

Next we worked on the AWANA book. I counted that as language arts. He did discovery 8:4 which had him read 1 Thessalonians 4 about getting ready for Jesus’ return. Then, he did discovery 8:6 where he read the story of Paul and Silas and the Philippian jailer and reenacted it with his Lego guys. I would have made a movie of it but our computer movie maker is messing up.

We did a short and easy math lesson on integers (positive and negative #'s). The lesson refreshed our memories for word problems when it uses words like gain/loss, ascend/descend, rise/fall and has the student figure out if they add or subtract. JD scored a 100% on quiz.

I attempted science but I think I bit off more than I could chew. It was a lesson on light (or radiant) energy, which includes: infrared rays, radio waves, ultraviolet rays, and X-rays. I can usually hunt and find kid friendly resources on the internet to teach JD. But I was running out of time before I cleaned today so I just scraped science. I’ll have to switch lessons until I myself can learn about “light energy.”

I had JD read for 30 minutes before we left. He actually started one of Jeff’s books about Iwo Jima. I think its above his level, but he seems interested in it.

Because I woke up late I didn't have time to even try to do a social studies lesson today.

JD and I left the house at 7:30pm to go get his school pictures. My goodness how quick our child is growing. I put his new 8x10 in the frame on the wall and reminisced about his 4th and 5th grade pictures that were still in the frame behind the current picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment