Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A pleasant day

It was a pleasant day.  The devotion today was titled “Jesus loves me this I know.” That reminds me of a sign that is in Joan’s Sunday School room. It says, “Jesus knows me this I love.” That is so true, but I need to stop depending on that fact that he “knows” me and work toward that childlike faith that I used to have and the “hunger” to be sinless like Jesus.

The math lesson was pretty easy again today. It was about finding the area of both a rectangle and triangle. To find the area of a rectangle you just multiply the base by the height. To find the area of a triangle you multiple the base by the height and divide it in half.

We watched the DVD “America: The Story of Us” for our social studies lesson. We’re both getting annoyed with South America and the number of Google searches we have to do to find the information we need. Today we learned about the Revolutionary War. I took 5 pages (2 front and back pages and one other page) of notes. I didn’t know all that stuff happened. I never liked history before but this DVD really interests me. I must be a visual spatial learner too. We learned about General George Washington’s first defeat and then his victory. We learned about the 400 ships and 32,000 soldiers that England sent over. We learned about Daniel Morgan, the sharp shooter commander, and his job of taking out the Indian scouts and British officers. We also learned about the small pox breakout and inoculation. We learned about Major General Baron Von Steuben who taught the rag tag group of rebels discipline, order, hygiene, and most importantly bayonet training. He also went on the write a manual that is still used today (very interesting). I think our favorite part was learning about the spies that were used by George Washington. There was a chain of people involved in sending invisible ink messages to Washington. Even a lady names Anna Smith Strong was involved. If she hung a certain petty coat out that meant the next message was there. Near then end of the six year war the Rebels stormed the British at Yorktown, VA. Two days later the British surrendered. We were left with 34 dead or wounded. The United States was the first to win a war of independence with Briton. Total there was a loss of 25,000 men for the cause.

Skeletal and Muscular Systems

We had fun in science today. We labeled our skeleton and mummy. JD is so observant. He noticed our skeleton has two left feet. (That’s funny!…Can you imaging walking in a circle?)

We misplaced the new library books so JD did not read today. But we did start the verbal book report. JD is so good at comprehension, but he’s not doing well with giving me complete sentences when I ask: What is the plot, setting, and theme of the book? When I asked, “What is the plot?“ I got, “A boy and a raccoon.” When I asked, “Did you like the book?” His complete sentence was, “I did like the book.” (Ok, technically, that is correct.) But JD knows I desire more information like: WHY? So I need to figure out a creative way to have him give a detailed book report.

I had my part-time cleaning job today and the only thing we had to complete was the language arts lesson. JD did three workbook pages. Page 61 was writing complete sentences using future tense words, page 63 was writing complete sentences using subject-verb agreement, and page 65 was writing complete sentences using agreement be and have. (I write the page #’s for me, not for you sorry.) It’s a “recommendation” by the state to keep a daily journal of activities with page #’s.

1 comment:

  1. A school day I would have enjoyed very much.
    What a great thing you are doing!

    ReplyDelete