Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Birthday! (½ day)

I had a half day planned for JD since today is his birthday. So we only did the basics today.

The devotion today was created by me and the internet. I based it on Psalm 139:14, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” Then I spent a considerable amount of time the other night doing a time capsule for JD. It had the hit songs of 1999, the prices of major goods, President and vice president, famous people he shares a birthday with, TV shows, toys and books. The price I found most amazing was the price of gas. It was only $1.22. JD shares a birthday with the likes of: “Fats” Domino, “Buffalo Bill” Cody, William Frawley (from I Love Lucy), Jackie Gleason, Tony Randall, and Johnny Cash. We then listened to some songs by Fats and Johnny. JD especially liked “Blueberry Hill” and “Charlie Brown.”

We did not do the Purpose Driven Life today. Instead he read independently from his “Boy No More” book. That was toward the end of our day so he was anxious to read and be done with the day.

For math today we did customary capacity. So he had to know how many tablespoons are in an ounce. How many ounces are in a cup? How many cups are in a pint? How many pints are in a quart? How many quarts are in a gallon? Then in got tricky and wanted to know how many ounces are in a gallon. I don’t know if these are facts that require memorization or if the annual assessment will have a chart to look at and then leave the multiplication to JD. So I’ll have to figure out a way to have him memorize customary lengths, weights, and capacities.

We did not do keyboarding today. Instead we did a language arts lesson. It was short and sweet. JD did a lesson called “Think aloud, level 1.” It was based on the fictional story that they made a movie about. The movies name is “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.” He did the quiz and scored a 100%.

We also did not do edit rewrite or health today. We moved right into the spelling test. There were a couple of problems with the way he did his spelling cards this week. 1.) They had acrostic sentences that had nothing to do with the actual word. 2.) There were no pictures to go with the sentences. He told me, “I don’t need the pictures.” 3.) He did not actually “study” his words this week. That was evident after his spelling test. (More word to do trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

So that was his ½ day birthday. Now time to run around like a ferret on caffeine to get all these birthday party details and decorations in order.

I have a “Worst Mother of the Year” story for you. So since its JD’s 11th birthday I decide I must make a cake for him. He has to have cake for his “birth” day even though he’s having blow out party tomorrow. So I successful make a bunt cake and shaved it to resemble a volcano. I was almost completed frosting the cake when is fell in the dishwater. (I know!) I apologized profusely to JD and he said, “Its okay!” He wasn’t mad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment