Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ask and yea shall receive

Yesterday’s blog was entitled “I want more days like today.” Well I got another one. Last night I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning doing research for a “Mad Scientist Birthday Party” and various science experiments. This made me extremely tired today and I had to remember I’m tired don’t get mad a JD for anything. But how could I? He was awake before me and even hit my snooze button for me. (Oh how nice of him.) Anything to delay school right?

Today was “Random acts of kindness day.“ We all tend to get caught up in the “What will make me happy” mode and today we were asked to do random acts of kindness for someone else. It added a verse from Luke 6:31...do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

Today in the Purpose Driven Life reading we learned “How to grow.” Rick Warren starts this out by saying, “Sadly, millions of Christians grow older but never grow up.” They remain spiritual infants; forgetting it takes an intentional commitment. Yes the Holy Spirit changes us, but we have to make choices that Jesus would have. We have to act in new ways and let go of old routines. We have to change the way we think. That is to do the mental shift of repentance. Stop thinking self-center self seeking thoughts. Some of us are like babies. Babies are only worried about their own needs and unable to give anything back. Christianity isn't a religion it is a relationship and a lifestyle. The core of the lifestyle is thinking of others. Think about it...when did Jesus try to please himself?


So far algebra is not that hard. Once I know the math terms I think I'll get it better. Today in algebra we learned integers. Those are the positive and negative numbers. Example: A plane descended 50 feet. You would write that -50. Another example is a business earned $100 profit. You would write +100. Then we had to figure out algebra patterns. Example: 3, 6, 9, 12, (What's the next number and how did you get that?) Answer: 15, add 3 to each number. So far not bad. JD really picked up on the rule for finding each pattern. He's always been great at patterns though.

I was impressed with JD's ability to think up sentences for these word bank words. Today they were: nebulous, oafish, and recondite. He always does real good with doing these independently.

We're finally done with the Manifest Destiny history lesson. I just didn't like history and the information for these two lessons was basically the same. He took a chapter quiz and scored a 100%. I wonder what we'll tackle next?

I scraped the journal writing in cursive and music today to get started on some much needed birthday party shopping trips. I can never go to just one source for my party goods. So today we went by our veterinarians office, two florists, Everything’s a dollar, beauty supply store, the “red” dollar store, Walgreens, CVS, and finally back home. It was a disappointing shopping day and I see myself having to order some of the needed items off the Internet. Bummer. Shipping costs and time stress me. Then after dinner we went back out to Hobby Lobby and Party City. I’m getting closer to ending this shopping extravaganza.

This scientist birthday party planning is a bit more extensive than I thought. I have to try each experiment to see if they work. Some have not worked and I have to go back to do more research. Some are working. We started one today that colors the tips if carnations when you add food coloring to the water. We have red, green, and blue going. This is a lesson on polluted water.

No comments:

Post a Comment