Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Another good day

Daniel, Sarah, Suri, and Isabella drove down yesterday from Tennessee. We visited with them for a couple of hours Sunday and put them up in a hotel for the night. (Sorry, the Hyder Zoo has “No Vacancy” this week.) Look there are 4 generations in this picture!
So I planned for a short school day today. We did our daily devotion which led to us reading the beginning parts of Psalm 119. We only got through the first 40 verses or so because we talked specifically about what the anonymous author was pleading of God.

The Social Studies lesson was fun today. Since there were three of us we played a game that I bought at the Everything’s a Dollar store. It reviewed the capital cities of the fifty states and some facts about what some states were known for. Jonathan came in first, Grammy second, and I came in last place. I called it, “getting a flat tire.”

JD did his math lesson independently today. It was a short lesson on The Powers of Ten. It was confusing for me but JD was really all over it. As a matter of fact I had to go back at 10:00pm this evening and redo the lesson for myself so I could understand it. I was in the shower when he did this one. Then, he moved right into the quiz and scored a 100%. I guess because he got through that lesson so quickly he thought he should move onto another math lesson. He did make it through the lesson but bombed the quiz with a 40%. I did not go back and redo this lesson. The Powers of Ten confused me enough for one day. We’ll tackle that lesson tomorrow.

Science was all about nutrition. We looked at the food pyramid and researched a carrot and found out all kinds of neat things about it. Did you know to plant your carrots as close to tomato plants as possible, because this will increase the tomato production. Also, if you leave the carrot root and all in the ground for two years, the flowers will attract predatory wasps that will take care of garden bugs. (Crazy I know…) We also learned the terms: calories, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats and what each one does for the body.

Language arts was designed to be short again. The only thing we did was recite the Parts of Speech poem and pulled out the cut up words to sort again. Were anxiously awaiting Daniel and his little family to visit again. When we got the call that they were visiting friends and would be for a while, I had JD read for was short time and that was the end of the day.

I’m not sure how much of this information Lyndell is actually absorbing, but she’s a great student! (I must admit…I thought that law written for “No student left behind” might get debated here at Faith Christian Academy…but she’s tracking right along with us.)

So, three car loads of mostly Hyder’s piled into Pizza Inn form dinner. We ate, laughed and talked our way through 1 ½ hours. Then we came home and visited for a little while longer. It was getting late and we put Daniel’s family up in a hotel again tonight. No sense driving home exhausted. It was such a nice surprise to see our grandbabies. I can’t wait for the next visit. Those girls are so pretty! There's Suri Noel (with Jeff) and Isabella Marley (with Reuben).

No comments:

Post a Comment