Welcome to the blog and thanks for visiting.

We hope you enjoy our daily adventures...doing God's will.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The faith of a mustard seed will move those "road blocks"




Today’s lesson went on the road. It started with reading the devotion in the car on the way to a doctors appointment we had to attend. I wanted to speak to JD's doctor about reducing the dosage of Concerta he takes daily. Since he’s being home schooled now I wanted to see if his inattentiveness, impulsivity, and hyper activity would be acceptable in the home school environment. The appointment went well and she agreed to try a reduced dosage and applauded the idea. While waiting for our appointment we read 40 days of Purpose driven life and learned we are not an accident. God planned us! While waiting on the medication I had him do two math worksheets. This was a big mistake. (Road block #1) There were entirely too many distractions in the waiting room. (Dah! Go figure! What was I thinking?)

From there we went to Womack Army Hospital. I didn’t mention it in yesterday’s blog because it was way too lengthy, but Jeff was self diagnoses as possibly dehydrated. This was Tuesday night. All night and Wednesday morning he vomited all he had left. The stress of vomiting all night brought on a erratic heart patterns. So we all packed up early Wedsneday morning at 0 dark hundred and piled into the ER. After a short stay in the ER they admitted him for observation. He stayed over night without any treatment for sickness other than his heart. He’s finally out now with the official diagnoses that he has the “common cold.” (What!? Zero tolerance for drugs they say...someone needs tested for drug abuse...Oh don’t even get me started…because this blog is suppose to be about JD’s home schooling adventures and not a platform for Cheryl’s ranting about our fine military medical care.)

Anyway, we drove over to see daddy and JD vegged in front of the TV for 4 hours until Jeff’s discharge. (Road block #2) I tried my best to get JD to focus on the two math quizzes when we finally got home but he was bothered, frustrated, inattentive, and moody. All of this can be explained because his medication was wearing off. So he took one math quiz on sums and differences and received a 100%. He did not fair well with reasonableness, with 8 out of 10 correct but even then I had to coach him on a few. For example, to JD it was reasonable that an elephant weighs 444tons. I tried my best to say most trucks weigh ½ ton. He replied with, “Well elephants weigh a lot more than that.” Reasonableness in case you don’t know is guessing how much a gallon of milk costs, guessing the weight of an elephant, and such.

Two years ago when we had him tested by a psychologist the report stated JD “has difficulty dealing with problems that require common sense to solve.” This is absolutely true when it comes to prices, dollar figures, and weights. He also has no real concept of time. He can read a clock but times slips away from him, or creeps up on him at bedtime. So I try to give warnings like you have 15 minutes before bed. You have only five minutes left. This is suppose to help him develop a sense of time. So far not very well.

So we fought our way through an entire lesson (15 minutes) on reasonableness and he was so moody. He would try to answer a question that would have been incorrect and when I assisted him he would lower his head as if to show defeat. I hated it for him and tried to get him to tell me what he was “feeling” but he didn’t participate in the conversation, only shrugged it off by trying to push through the lesson without really understanding it. (Shh…don’t tell JD, but I totally see more disguised lessons in reasonableness in our daily lives.) I know he doesn’t like writing things on paper but he tries to visually do his math in his head instead of on paper. 2+3=5 is ok but when you are adding 100 + 87 + 75 + 63 = (WHAT! I need to write this out.) But JD does his best to hold those numbers in his head and more times than not he will get the wrong answer. So I will need to work on getting him to write them out or something.

So math was finally completed and I scraped the lessons for civics, e-mail & snail mails, language arts, and science. We’ll just call it a day and pick up trying the Friday schedule tomorrow.
(Don't you love this road sign?)
So here’s what I know. I know Satan is trying to put road blocks out for us to stumble on. I know Satan wants us to get frustrated and just give up on this home school thing. BUT, I also know I can call on God to push Satan aside. We all have FAITH that this is God’s will for our family. Hence the name Faith Christian Academy.

I will leave you with this...Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation. (Psalm 91:14-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment